An Unkind Cut
I knew it was only a matter of time.
I have been fighting with a wrist probem for the last few years. I broke my wrist on a weekend when I should have been out taking pictures, but instead I was helping out with a youth retreat. No good deed goes unpunished.
It did give me the opportunity to learn the importance of shooting off of a tripod. But unfortunately it was not treated correctly when I broke it, I spent far too long without the benefits of physical therapy, and as a result, the break left other issues that I’ve been dealing with ever since.
I won’t go into the diagnosis–no need to do that here. But I’m waiting for a call this coming week to figure out when they can fit me into the schedule to spend some quality time cleaning up that which should have been fixed the first time.
The bad news is that once the surgery goes down, so does the rest of my shooting season. Doc says 2 weeks in a hard cast, at least 4 weeks in the hard splint, and then occupational and physical therapy to follow. Oh yes, and for those first 6 weeks no writing and no driving. I can type as long as I’m not using my thumb (very doable… it’ll just slow me down a little bit).
Let’s say they can find time for me by the middle of October. That pushes the calendar into the first week in December before I’m theoretically able to travel on my own and carry my own gear. Yep, dragons and damsels will be gone by then, as will the butterflies. I’ll have some opportunities with the birds, but that’ll be about it I’m afraid.
So the mad scramble is on to get out and get some shooting days before I’m told to shut it down for the year. I have some banked vacation days that I’m going to have to take, so I’m hoping to complete this week at work, tie up some loose ends, and then take the entirety of next week off. If I do it right, I’ll be able to squeeze in 4-5 days of shooting (weather permitting, of course) before it is time to count back from 100.
Did I mention weather? No photography this weekend because of the weather. About 3″ of rain fell in the greater San Antonio area. My old home up in San Angelo had closer to 7″. This morning I woke up to windy conditions and when I looked at the wind plus the likelihood I’d be slogging through mud, I decided that today was not the day to shoot.
But it was a productive weekend…for everything but photography. Many hunnadew and geek cred list items resolved. Maybe as this week goes along I will have some time to edit some images and make some prints.
About the Image:
My good friend the Blue Dasher (Pachydiplax longipennis) perched at Mitchell Lake Audubon Center last weekend. The Standard Gear as usual, no flash, ISO 400 at f/13.